Thursday 19 January 2012

OUTFIT OF THE DAY

Dress: H&M (find a similar one here)
Leggings: H&M (find a similar pair here)
Cardigan: Joe Fresh (find a similar version here)
Watch: Tissot Couturier (find it here)
Boots: Steve Madden (find a similar pair here)

Hey everyone! Today was a weird weather day...this winter has been super mild with very little snow, but today I think Mother Nature decided to make up for lost time. This is what I wore this morning (there was only a dusting of snow when I left) to work. I work in an office, so I usually dress in casual business clothing. I really love this dress and it has such a funny story behind it:

Two summers ago, I bought the same dress in grey from H&M to wear to work on hot summer days because it's nice and light. When I brought it with me on vacation to Greece, my sister borrowed it and accidentally sat in motor oil (what are the chances?!). No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the stain to wash out and I had to throw it away. Needless to say, I couldn't believe it when I found the exact same dress in light pink last week. Better yet it was on sale for $10 and in my size! I snapped it up as soon as I saw it - I can't believe they still had it more than a year later :)

In order to winterize this dress I added an extra thick pair of leggings (rather than tights) underneath. I also layered my Joe Fresh cardigan over top. To create the illusion of longer legs and a narrower waist, look for dresses that belt at or above your natural waist and then flow away at your hips. The knee-length hemline is always a safe bet for an office environment too, since it's both flattering and appropriate.


Sadly, my cute outfit didn't last very long. Halfway through the day a snowstorm started and by the time that I left work the roads were completely snowed over. While I usually adopt the 'wait until it melts in the spring' school of thought when it comes to shoveling the driveway, the roads were particularly treacherous today and I felt bad that my mom would come home to a snowy driveway so I changed out of my cute outfit and into my snow clothes. Oh yes. It's a pretty sweet look. Garbed in a full sweat suit (elasticized sweat pants and a sweatshirt combo), extra strength Sorel boots, hat, mitts and armed with a shovel, I began the loathed winter task of clearing the driveway.

You see, some smart Canadian families invest in snow-blowers, but I come from a long line of it'll-melt-eventually-ers who like to pretend that the snow situation isn't as bad as it really is. The fact is, I always seem to underestimate the intensity of a shoveling workout - you have to clear the walkway, shovel the driveway, move the cars around and, no matter how cold it is outside, you're all sweaty and disheveled by the end. Good times. I think I'll move to the Bahamas...

Wishing you a kind neighbour with a snowblower,
Talk soon,
Vi

No comments:

Post a Comment