Sunday 29 January 2012

TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR CLOTHES

Allow me to introduce you to my mom, seamstress extraordinaire and current front-runner for Mom of the Year Award. As you know, I have Amniotic Band Syndrome. This means that my hands and feet developed differently - I have tiny hands and wrists and I come up a couple of fingers and toes short. While this does have certain advantages (manicures are a fraction of the price, I can reach the change that slips under the car seat, etc.), gloves have always proved a particular challenge. Since the fingers on gloves are way too long and adult-sized mittens are huge on me, I usually end up wearing kid's mitts. While that's all well and good for normal winter occasions, sometimes a woman just wants a pair of big-girl gloves.


Enter Mom. This year for Christmas my mom bought me two fabulous pairs of leather gloves with the promise that she would tailor them to fit my hands. Check out the results! I can move my hands more comfortably, the palm and fingers both fit properly and I got the stylish look that I wanted. How amazing is that?!

More important is Mama H's approach to clothing and style. If it doesn't fit, then fix it. It's not you, it's the clothes. And this applies to all sorts of cases! Maybe you have a large bust and you have trouble finding shirts that will button. Maybe you have short legs so you need to hem pants before you can wear them. Maybe you get your boots stretched so that they will zip over your calves. Either way, it's important to remember that clothing is manufactured based on 'ideal' or 'normal' proportions. Chances are that you don't have 'normal' proportions. And that's just fine. Most people don't. Your body is unique and original so adjust your clothes to fit your body, not the other way around.

Above all remember that shopping and style should be fun. Get creative and play around with your clothing. Worst comes to worst, it turns out weird and that's not the end of the world :)

Talk soon,
Vi

No comments:

Post a Comment